Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Stranger Danger

Today.
Wearing my school/work shirt.
In the cookies and crackers aisle of Fry's:

old lady: Oh, yum! Graham crackers! These are just the best snack!
me: mhmm.
old lady: It's my neighbor's birthday. He turned 78 or something. He's old but he loves graham crackers. You know, these are what they give you in the hospital. Even if you're diabetic! My husband, he's diabetic, but that's what they gave him in the hospital... graham crackers. Hmmm, oh cinnamon. These look good. Hmmm, is that all they have?
me: I think the regular one's are down there.
old lady: Oh, there they are! Yes! Why thank you! (sees my shirt) Oh, where do you work?
me: a charter school in Mesa.
old lady: (dramatic gasp) How neat! Oh that is just great. What grade do you teach?
me: I'm actually a Resource teacher.
old lady: (confused hesitation)
me: Special Ed.
old lady: Oh my! Well you are a great person. There's a special place in heaven for you guys. That is just so neat!
me: Ya, I'm loving it.
old lady: Oh good. Wow that is just so great. (silence). Graham crackers really are just the best treat. Oh they are so good. You know, I sat down with some and a cup of tea last night. I couldn't decide what I wanted to eat so I had that and, oh, it was just the best treat.
me: Oh cool.
old lady: You know, my friend Frank has a son who taught special ed. He was just so great. He was at a high school. He worked with the older kids.
me: Neat.
old lady: Ya, his class was... that's where all the, you know, handicapped kids are. But ya he just loves it. Well, you have a fantastic day and a wonderful career. God bless you in your career. Have a great day!
me: Thanks, you too.

Can you believe this? Some people are so friendly. I love it! This is the epitome of my greatest fear. Never in a million years would I (nor could I) spontaneously strike up a conversation with a stranger shopping for graham crackers. I'm so socially awkward with people I don't know, and this cute old lady left me in awe. In a strange way, this stranger's random conversation with me really made my day.

P.S. I'm loving my new job at my old elementary school, Ben Franklin. I'm also loving this whole salary thing.

2 comments:

ajwhet10 said...

Hahaha! Wonderful post! The little stranger just needed you at that moment!
I'm so glad for your job (and salary!!), and hope the year will be a good one for you. You learn SO much that first year, and it is traditionally the hardest year. But there are so many chances to do something "virtuous, lovely, of good report, praiseworthy, etc." in people's lives, despite the many challenges! May you ENJOY IT TREMENDOUSLY!! Love you!

Anonymous said...

Love it! My kids sometimes get embarrassed because I talk to people like that. They say mom you cant do that then I say...I just did!


Good Luck this year.