Saturday, January 19, 2008

"I put raisins in it...you like raisins."

Привет friends and family! On Monday morning I began my journy to Ukraine as an International Language Programs teacher. On Tuesday evening (Ukraine time=9 hours ahead) I arrived safely in Kiev Ukraine. All 23 of us ILP teachers were split up at the airport into small groups where we were then transported to each of our individual host homes. I was lucky number one to be dropped off at one of the hundreds of 18+-story apartment buildings surrounding me. I live with Sergey and Olga and their two children Katya (7) and Ilia (2). In contrast to the very stoic faces which surround me in public, my family is happy and laughing. My first night with them was definitly different. For one thing, I got a horrible first impression of Ukrainian food. The first item on my plate looked like cracked wheat but she said it was buckwheat. It was a bit stale but it balanced the more poignant items on my plate: spicy shredded carrots; shredded beets; and "sour" (fermented) cabbage. I asked for some water and she was so excited to share her "mineral" water (club soda). She poured me a glass and went to give it to me, but returned to the counter, picked up a spoon, meticulously fished some unknown specimen out and gave it to me. The next morning I awoke to the same delicacies waiting for me at the table. I am learning to find humor in everything and needless to say am very humbled. Oh, and Olga has a fettish with raisins and they end up in everything. One morning I had just a block of what might be able to pass for grainy cream cheese with raisins in it. Since the first two days, I have eaten some good things, however, my standard for "good" has definitly been skewed. I am learning to enjoy it though. It is all a great adventure!

3 comments:

Em said...

Once again, my good example comes through! Love the "Better Off Dead" quote! I'm glad you get to be there, and remember that we're praying for you.

Lari said...

I just love the look of your host mom! What a delightfully happy face. She truly is a light. I am GRATEFUL. I love raisins!

Shums said...

after this trip now maybe you will rejoice in going to the chinese buffet with the rest of the fam!