Tuesday, March 15, 2011

I Am Not A Dog Person

This is likely a result of the demon of a dog my brother Richard had (Rudy) when I was just a tot. I have one distinct memory of being alone in the dark kitchen at night (the parents must have been gone) peering at the laundry room door rattling violently and hearing the possessed growls and claws scratching their way out...towards me! Or, my not being a dog person could be the result of witnessing the neighbor's giant, sandy lab shoving my sister Bethany flat into a ditch, clawing at her eye and blood gushing from it the next second. Perhaps it was a combination of these events and everyone always telling me not to be so afraid of dogs as they jumped on me with their toothy snarls (was it some sick joke everyone was in on but me?!) Anyway,

a couple Saturdays ago, upon leaving Wal-Mart, I saw this precious puppy, and combined with my husband's pleading puppy eyes, I found myself turning the car around "just to look."
Then I found myself agreeing, "Okay, a little puppy might be a fun addition at this juncture in life."

THEN, the lady selling them (in cahoots with James) was explaining how much better it is when a puppy has a friend... especially if we can't be home all the time. Next thing I know, we are the proud owners of the two cutest black labs. We named them Duke, from some hero in one of James' favorite book series, and Rivers, from the lead singer of one of our favorite bands: Weezer.

THEN, our landlord found out, and despite the man upstairs having two yappy wiener dogs of his own, we were forced to get rid of our precious puppies. So, we drove to Arizona and my sister EmmaLee graciously took them in until we move there at the end of April. It was so sad to leave them and I'm starting to understand all those animal lovers who treat their pets like children! Yup. I'm definitely a converted dog lover and can't wait to finish here at school and get home to them. I LOVE THEM SO MUCH!!!

4 comments:

amy said...

That lady totally up-sold you! Cute names, I give Rivers 2 thumbs up!

Anonymous said...

awww How cute. What fun they will be.

SammiLee said...

They are pretty lovable dogs--I'll give you that! I only spent a little bit of time with them and I miss them, so I can understand taht you'd be excited to see them again in AZ!

dasrls said...

OK let me just tell you they are sooo cute....BUT I have one at home, he is almost a year and he is hell on paws!! lol good luck!