Saturday, February 23, 2008

The Everyday Small Things

"I am asking that we stop seeking out the storms and problems of life, and enjoy more fully the sunlight." My sister EmmaLee posted this great quote from President Hinckley on her blog. I am grateful for these simple but inspiring words from the Prophet of the Lord. I understand it is a metaphore but here in Kyiv where you see the sun for an hour or so only every few days this quote has taken on added meaning. Everyone tells us that the past month has actually been abnormally sunny, though as I had never gone a day before living here without seeing the sun it has seemed dark, cold, and gloomy. I am very thankful for this change, though, because I have come to heed the words of Pres. Hinckley. I find little rays of sunshine in small, everyday things despite the drab gray that encircles the atmosphere.

One of the first things I noticed upon arriving was a huge stand of the most beautiful flowers lining the entrance to the underground metro tunnel. I have come to find out that these stands are in every tunnel all over the city. Passing the variety of bouquets is such a bright and cheery part of my walk everday to school. Also, Sergey, my host dad brings Olga a new flower after the previous one dies. So there is almost always a lovely fresh flower on our kitchen table. It is so thoughtful and simple, yet it makes a grand difference. Another simple thing that makes my day is when I ride the metro. Even though the metro is an underground form of transportation, there is about three minutes where we are above the ground to cross the lake. I will just be standing looking at the ground and then all of a sudden there is an actual view outside my window and it is so pretty. It is literally a burst of light in the midst of darkness.

Almost everyday for the past 5 weeks Alison and I have passed this pile of who the heck knows what. My projection is meat of some sort and form, though it also reminds me of Jurassic Park when the lady is digging through the dino's huge dung pile. Anyway, it was quite a joy being able to expect that odd and only-in-Ukraine sight during our daily stroll, but it has been missing the past few days. It definitely lifted our spirits and made us laugh.

Then, of course, there are my children...Though I don't always feel successful with them, I am constantly in stitches because of them, especially Barbara and her amazing toys. This is her cat barbie. Though definitely unusual, it doesn't quite beat the weird light on a stick with exposed wires coming out which she licks to make light up.
This is a message to me (aka "Kemi") from two of my follow-up girls.

3 comments:

star valley farmers? said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOMORROW MY DEAR KAMI!!! I DO HOPE THAT YOU HAVE A GOOD DAY. Your blog was inspiring..it made me cry. You are such an example to us!!! All of my kids are home this weekend I will try to get Parker to write to you and read your blog. Take a look at mine. martellandlinda.blogspot.com I just put some new stuff on it and hopefully it will make you laugh. how is the teaching going? I found a great picture lotto game to use with my kids I think it should work well, if you want me to send you a copy I can try. Good luck and bless you!! I love you!!! love, dede

Em said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!! That is so sweet that he always brings her flowers!

Shums said...

Happy happy birthday kami dear, happy days will come to you all year, but if i had a wish then it would be, a happy happy birthday to you from me!

i need to tell sam to start up that flower habit.